Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Unique week


Beck Family!

So this week has been unique.

but also pretty crazy.

Missionary work wise, it felt like we were getting kicked in the face a lot. Not much good happened, we got dropped by some of our best investigators who have come to church and had really cool spiritual experiences. So that was no fun. We werent able to find a lot of our investigators, or make contact with them, so that made teaching harder, didnt have as many lessons as we like. And it was just generally not the best week in that aspect.
But in the aspect of a companionship, it was a great week. Me and elder C have been getting along super good, and its been cool to see that as we get along and are more open with communication, that it really does change the atmosphere with our investigators. For real, things are going great.
And I have done something pretty interesting family that i would like to share. Back in the beginning of october, i heard of something really interesting. It was refered to as a 40 day fast. It is meant to be a thing that helps in the process of santification. This is what i did. I first made a vision of what i want to become, related to my personal progression. I made the vision 'To Burn all The Ships in The Harbor.' That is refering to i want to burn everything behind me, everything holding me back, that can take me back to the way i was before the mission. I then set specific goals. The main goal was to do a 40 day fast of the things that are holding me back. I then set specific plans. Those plans including making a detailed and honest list of things that i do that i know i shouldnt, or things that i dont do that i know i should. This list included i should not even glance at the tv when we eat at a restaurant, i should not even hum music that isnt mission approved, i should not ask younger missionaries about movies that have come out. Just simple things like that. I then made this list and then prayed that i would be able to give up every thing on it for the next 40 days. That started on october 5th. Since  then i have noticed how those things seemed like even more of a temptaition than before. I realize that none of them are very large bad things, but they were just little things that i needed to change if i wanted to enjoy the company of the spirit always. I had to fight like a lion in this sanctification process, and do everything possible to be constantly focused in on the missionary work. Around day 30 i started to notice that it wasnt that hard to give up those things, that i didnt really even want to. I finisehd the 40 days this last week, and i can honestly say that i have seen a change in my nature from doing this. I seem to notice even the smallest things that drive away the sprit, every little thing seems to have an effect on me. I feel much more sensitive to the spirit and to its promptings. And i have seen that help me in my personal life and with helping other people. It has been incredible. I feel like it changed some of my most basic desires and habits. I know that change is possible. I know that we can become who God expects of us. I know that we can have confidence to be in front of Him if we are doing our very best. Cause if we are doing our very best, then we are doing enough.

Thanks so much family, love all of you, take CAre!

Beck out,
Elder Beck

 

Ok that is what fell out of the toaster!!! 

Us

No comments:

Post a Comment